Founded in 1998 by Tom Kulzer, AWeber has managed to hold a strong position in the market and currently benefits from a user-base of around 100,000.
Aweber is one of the oldest email marketing tools out there and to be frank if it wasn’t, it probably wouldn’t be on the map right now.
It is still used and recommended by a lot of bloggers and marketers mostly out of habit but its aging feature set makes it one of the worst choices when it comes to email marketing tools.
In this review, we will evaluate AWeber on these factors – pricing, ease of use, features, customer support, and overall sentiment around the product.
For many small business owners and bloggers alike, AWeber still remains the best email marketing service provider (ESP), far more proficient than any other email marketing service on the market. Read the full review to see if this is the right assessment.
AWeber’s pricing is list-based. It offers a free 30-day trial for lists of up to 500 subscribers. Once the trial is over, you can opt for any of the following list-based pricing options:
- Up to 500 subscribers – $19/month
- Up to 2,500 subscribers – $29/month
- Up to 5,000 subscribers – $49/month
- Up to 10,000 subscribers – $69/month
- Up to 25,000 subscribers – $149/month
- Over 25,000 subscribers – Contact AWeber for pricing
If you exceed your plan’s monthly limit, you will be billed for the next plan up. This is a common practice among the majority of email service providers.
The best part about AWeber’s 30-day trial is that they unlock all the essential features of their product. This means you can start using features such as autoresponders, A/B split testing, blog broadcasts, etc. right away.
Ease of Use
AWeber is easy to use and if this is the first time you are using an email marketing service provider, you can find a wealth of information at your disposal in AWeber’s Knowledge Base. They also provide email marketing tips on their YouTube channel and frequently hold webinars. Honestly, you can probably spend a couple of days going through AWeber’s resources (Ebooks, webinars, videos, etc.) and learn A-Z of email marketing.
If this is the first time you’re using an ESP, I highly recommend AWeber’s FREE Trial 30-day.
Once you sign up and log in to your AWeber account, the user control panel will autoplay a video which you can watch to learn how to quickly set up and use your account. From here on, you are free to explore the tool and set up your first email marketing campaign.
AWeber has tons of useful features, but some of its popular features such as autoresponders (automated emails), blog broadcasts, and A/B Split Testing deserve special mention. Below is a brief summary of the features that I personally love about AWeber:
- Autoresponders – AWeber allows you to create a set of autoresponders (automated email campaigns). This can be particularly useful while sending a welcome message to new subscribers. You could also use this feature to provide “special email courses” on your blog or “how to” emails explaining the various features of your product.
- Signup Forms – AWeber allows you to create sign up forms using any of their customizable templates. You can then integrate these signup forms to your website to grow your email list. AWeber also allows you to integrate them into your Facebook business page.
- List Segmentation – You can segment your list based on pretty much any criteria of your liking: DOB, location, specific interest, active users, passive users, etc. List segmentation feature on AWeber is easy to understand and use.
- Blog Broadcasts – AWeber blog broadcasts are extremely useful for bloggers. This tool allows you to send automatic emails every time you update your blog. Learn more about AWeber blog broadcasts here.
- Integrations – AWeber is integrated with popular tools and services such as Google Analytics, LeadPages, WordPress, OptinMonster, WooCommerce, etc.
“Customer support that’ll knock your socks off.” – This is the claim AWeber makes on its pricing page. Similar claims are made by most if not all service providers. But with respect to AWeber’s claim, it’s spot on! It’s one of the few tools which I use which has stellar customer support.
The customer support team is friendly, prompt, and helpful in resolving the issues. The support services include email, phone, and live chat support. They are also active on social media (especially Facebook and Twitter) and usually respond to all questions within a few hours.
User Feedback and Reviews
Overall, the user feedback on AWeber is overwhelmingly positive. There are several genuine testimonials on AWeber website itself. Most users applaud the following features and qualities of AWeber:
- Easy to use
- Email automation
- Wide variety of email templates
- Excellent customer support
- Other features such as list segmentation, analytics, and reporting, integrations, etc. are frequently mentioned and praised
- It’s easy to use.
- It lets you choose whether to subscribe people to your list on a single or double opt-in basis.
- It integrates neatly with a good range of third-party tools and apps.
- It comes with a very large range of templates – more than its key competitors.
- Setting up simple time-based autoresponders is very easy to do.
- Segmenting data is relatively easy and you can use both field contents and user activity (email opens, links clicked etc.) to create your segments.
- Split testing is currently disabled.
- Some of the templates look a bit dated.
- You can’t include or exclude multiple segments at once when sending an e-newsletter.
Alternatives to Aweber
There are many alternatives to Aweber available.
If you’re looking for something a bit more feature-packed, Getresponse (you can find our Getresponse review here), with Getresponse coming in a bit cheaper than Aweber on price too.
There may be several options available for bloggers and business owners for ESPs on the market, but AWeber still manages to be the best email marketing service, provider. It is competitively priced and packed with features which are extremely practical for new and seasoned marketers alike.
Even if you’re using some other email marketing service, it’s worth giving their 30-day free trial a go. AWeber provides you access to all its essential features such as autoresponders, sign up forms, A/B split testing, etc. and you can truly assess the tool with the email service you are currently using.